Tuesday 10 September 2019

10/09/2019 Past blogs and present benefits... 

I’ve been reading through a few of the other student blog posts this morning. I’ve never really been one for reading blogs but I’ve found that the ability to gain an insight into the personal experiences of others on the course…written when they were too in the initial stages, has been of great comfort. I can see now that they too shared anxieties that I now possess, but it’s as if I have the advantage of seeing their progression since and now appreciate how their journey throughout the course has gradually diminished these. 

Initially I was curious as to how others described their ‘Professional Practise’. I was intrigued by the high ratio of dancers that have studied the course before as well as the few who practised other creative pursuits. I wanted to understand how they wrote about their work, how they described what they did. Almost seeking a ‘title’ to define the creative activity to see if I could apply one to mine. I then suddenly had a moment where I realised that my work, being a vast diversity of multi-disciplinary projects and freelance work, could not be fully defined as a ‘thing’. However, it was the pursuit of these opportunities, these needs within contemporary culture, of ways to improve the wellbeing of others, that I could identify as my practise. Perhaps the outcome was not what was being sought, but the process was instead my practise. That was what I did. 

Perhaps that means the hours of scouring, of researching opportunities and identifying needs was my practise. The interactions not being encountered until a much later stage of the process. Is this what my creative practise is? Or am I just making excuses for myself, not being able to easily identify a role or career that simply answers the questions of relatives and friends of “Well, what do you do? What is you job?”. 

Who knows. Maybe it’ll become clear soon, maybe not. Maybe thats not the important aspect. I’m coming to realise that being uncertain is actually not as bad as it sounds, and generally in todays world, its everywhere. Sometimes thats OK. 

Amy



An overview of active learning, signifying the importance of creative activity to respond to and improve the experiences of the individuals and others. Although this specific video relates to those in the education sector, it is one of those principles that applies to every aspect of life as a whole and therefore can be a vital element of creative practise. 

No comments: